5 Tips for Out of Town Buyers
Whether you’re moving to the DFW from another town in Texas or from someplace far away from The Lone Star State, relocating can be immensely stressful—especially in a hot seller’s market like ours. After helping hundreds upon hundreds of out-of-area buyers make a smooth transition into the metroplex, we know a thing or two about best practices; here are our five best tips:
1. Consult a local Realtor. You need to have an in-depth conversation with an expert who knows the market you’re moving to and can lay out a highly detailed plan for how the entire buying process will work. The procedure for buying a home in the DFW may look very different from buying in, say, Baltimore, and you need to know about all of those differences.
This initial consultation is when you should be articulating the things you absolutely must have in your next home and the things you would simply like to have—everything from bedrooms to bathrooms, and school districts and nearby amenities. Zillow and other real estate websites are decent places to start, but having that knowledgeable Realtor set up a search in the local MLS is key; you’ll have access to local properties the minute they hit the market or get reduced into your price point.
2. Give feedback on the houses. Don’t just tell your Realtor what homes you like so far in your search, also tell them about the homes you don’t like and why.
"Take comfort knowing that we’ve helped hundreds of out-of-area buyers just like you."
3. Schedule a house-hunting tour. Talk to your Realtor and plan how many homes you’ll see each day that you’re in town. Make a list of the different areas of town that you want to explore, and make time to visit schools. Plan on having breakfast, lunch, and dinner in different neighborhood pockets to get a better idea of which areas feel cozy to you.
4. Be ready to make an offer before you even come to town. This may sound crazy, but we’ve helped a ton of buyers in the past 12 to 24 months by helping brace for our fast-paced market. Great properties are flying off of the market almost as soon as they’re listed, and you don't want to miss out on what your gut tells you is the right fit. To help out our buyers, we’ll either FaceTime them live or shoot a video at the property they’re interested in and send it to them immediately.
This gives you enough information to decide whether you want to reserve the property until you get into town. When you finally do arrive and see the property in person, you can make the call as to whether you want to go ahead with the inspection process or rescind your offer.
5. Know that it’s okay if you don't find ‘the one.’ There’s a lot of excitement and expectation surrounding your first house-hunting trip, but even if you don’t find the house you’re looking for then, that trip was still valuable. You’ll be able to meet face-to-face with your local Realtor to refine your search, better understand market conditions, and revise your battle plan.
Hopefully, you found these tips encouraging. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us by phone or email if you want to have a more in-depth chat about your specific relocation needs. Even if you just have a few general questions, we’re always more than happy to help!
Find "The One"
Your dream home awaits! We're here to guide you through the simple steps to a buyer's success.
Time For a Change?
Get excited about your next chapter! We bring patience, compassion, and calmness to what most consider an overwhelming process.